Overview of Educational Technology at CCLCS
The Lighthouse School has a local area network connected to the internet with 125 computers. 65% of these are laptop computers with wireless connection to the LAN. Beginning this year (2012-2013) we're experimenting with a dozen tablets. File sharing allows students and staff to access and print their work from nearly any machine. Our student to computer ratio is 2.3 to 1. Students and their parents are required to sign our acceptable use policy before using the school's computer equipment.
Our technology is based on the Macintosh operating system, with 96% running OS 10, and the remaining 4% running Windows. 35% of our computers are less than 3 years old, and 8% are over 5 years old.
We strive to integrate technology into our curriculum. While we believe that computers are valuable educational tools, we recognize that technology is ONLY a tool.
We have scanners, digital still- and video-cameras, and this website where we post notable information. We also use Jupiter Grades to make assignments and progress available online to students and their parents, and School Reach to broadcast phone and email messages to families.
Handy links for students:
Local free wireless hotspots